Billy and Kris let me in on one of their favorite vodka recipes: Bacon Infused Vodka. Billy told me that Bluephies was one of the few places in town that actually infused their own bacon vodka. If you remember earlier this summer, I experimented with infused vodka so I was excited to try again with a savory variety.
Here are some tips about ingredients:
- The smokier bacon, the better
- Get low sodium bacon if you can
- Use Finlandia Vodka.
Bacon Infused Vodka
1 lb of bacon
1 liter of vodka
- Fry up the bacon.
- Put bacon in container for infusing (I use mason jars).
- Pour vodka over bacon.
- Let sit for three weeks in a dark cool place.
- Strain the vodka three times with cheesecloth.
- Enjoy with martinis and Bloody Marys!
Recipe Review: There is a reason I don’t have pictures after the initial infusion: that stuff looks nasty! Kris and Billy had warned me about it but I was still surprised. The fat separates and the bacon looks all pale and sickly. However, it tastes just like bacon when you are finished. Pretty impressive! I can’t wait to try it with some Bloody Mary’s.