I am not an early morning runner. I am writing this sipping coffee waiting for the sunlight to stream through the windows. I am probably the only mother who is anxiously awaiting Fall Back. I miss my early morning runs, but I am too much of a wimp to run in the dark. So while I await the sun, here is what is going on in our neck of the woods…..
1. Did you know you can ‘bake’ sweet potatoes in the slow cooker? We had our family pictures on Sunday and I wanted to come home to a hot meal. I threw three sweet potatoes in the slow cooker and cooked them on low for 8 hours. They tasted just like I had baked them in the oven, aka AMAZING. I also made chicken breasts that were out of this world. It was a throw together recipe for the chicken- olive oil and red wine vinegar (about equal parts), Italian seasoning, juice of a lemon, and a little bit of honey: I poured that over the chicken and topped with lemon slices, peeled garlic cloves, and a sprig of fresh rosemary. I baked it on low for 6 hours. Threw some farmer’s market broccoli in the steamer and voila! Hot meal in no time!
2. We have had no dishwasher for almost a whole week. I decided God is giving me a lesson in gratefulness. I had been complaining that we run it twice a day. Point taken, God, point taken.
3. G got her mind blown when she found out a friend was going as Elsa for her Halloween costume. “You mean I could go as Elsa, Mom?” Suddenly her banana costume seems a little lame, even for a three year old.
4. After a year in our house, we are finally decorating. I have become obsessed with canvas prints. I thought I was so clever in seeking out deals on them until I realized how easy it was to find deals on them. Manatee was a little alarmed by our deliveries last week. Little does he know, there are four more on the way….
5. G’s new phrase: Mom, I’m hungry. Hungry for attention. Mom of the year over here.
6. We are hosting a Halloween party Friday with the possibility of over 20 kiddos. I realized that if I didn’t want G to lose her mind over kids playing with her toys that we would need some kind of alternative activities. However they need to appeal to a three year old mindset. And not be destroyed by the second kiddos. And not destroy my house. And not require much work for me. Thoughts? Think they would be into housecleaning? Folding laundry?
7. We have given G2 the endearing nickname of Wrecking Ball. Do I need to say more?
Well, I am off to run in the semi darkness. G looked outside and said, “Mom, won’t the animals get you?” Thanks G. Just what I wanted to hear…..