I think all of you know my infatuation with a certain type of pie.
The hardest part of living a dairy-free life is the absence of my Italian lover.
I tried eating vegan pies which consisted of crust, sauce, and toppings.
It was good, but it was still missing that certain ‘je ne sais quoi.’
So, I was super excited when I found a recipe for a tofu pizza cheese in Vegan with a Vengeance, another fave cookbook.
Her recipe was for a ricotta-like cheese.
So one small problem, I HATE ricotta cheese.
So I know I couldn’t follow the recipe to the letter but it was a great jumping point and from that recipe, I came up with my own version of a vegan pizza.
I hope you like it.
If not, can I eat yours?
Adapted from Vegan with a Vengeance
1 pound of extra firm tofu, pressed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- In a large bowl, mash up tofu with your hands until it’s crumbly.
- Add lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, basil, and oregano. Mash with your fingers for 2-3 minutes until well combined and it’s starting to resemble ricotta cheese.
- Add olive oil and stir with a fork.
- Add nutritional yeast and stir with a fork until well combined.
- Store in fridge until you are ready to use it.
Tofucotta and Veggie Pizza
1/2 bunch asparagus, cut into 2 inch spears
1 pound of mushrooms, sliced
1/4 red onion, sliced
Whole Wheat Crust
You can really use whatever toppings you would like. Oddly enough, these are my favorite toppings!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- While oven is preheating, spread sauce on crust. Cover with toppings and top with cheese.
- Cook for 15-18 minutes.
Recipe Review: I was surprised by how much I loved this pizza. I told Manatee repeatedly that I had the Chinese place on speed dial if needed.
It wasn’t needed. This pizza was awesome. I loved how cheesy the tofu tasted. It satisfied all of my pizza needs.
Look out world, Badger Girl is eating pizza again!
What is your favorite food? What would you (or have you done) if you couldn’t have it anymore?