On this unworthy cooking blog, I show
A recipe, oft claim’d by country south,
but craft by my hand and no learned skill.
Let me, cipher to this great accompt,
On your imaginary forces work.
Suppose that when I speak of enchiladas,
You imagine those cheesy tortillas
Stuff’d with meat, covered in spicy salsa
Found only in American, Mex’can joints.
Can anyone guess from which Shakespeare play I adapted this opening speech?
Sometimes I like to find ways to justify my graduate work in Theatre. What can I say? The point of the speech is that this is not an authentic enchilada recipe. This is a ‘it’s-the-middle-of-the-week-and-I-need-to-not-eat-fast-food’ kind of recipe.
Because we all have different tastes and different ingredients in our pantries, I thought I would pose this recipe as a formula:
Meat + Cheese +Sauce/Salsa + Tortilla = a piping hot Mexican casserole we like to call ‘enchiladas’
- Shredded chicken + Salsa Verde + Monterrey Jack cheese
- Shredded beef + Tomato Salsa + Cheddar cheese
- Ground chicken + Enchilada Sauce + Cheddar Cheese
- Ground Beef + Tomato Salsa + Monterrey Jack Cheese
- Replace meat with ¾ cup black beans and ¾ cup corn.
BASIC ENCHILADA RECIPE
3 cups of meat (ground or shredded chicken or beef)
1 ½ cups of salsa or sauce
8 flour tortillas
½ cup cheese
9 x 13 pan (not glass)
- Preheat your oven to Broil.
- Coat your baking dish with cooking spray.
- Mix meat, ½ cup salsa/sauce and ½ cup of cheese in a bowl. If meat is not already hot, microwave for 2 minutes.
NOTE: This means that you can make the meat ahead of time or use a rotisserie chicken you bought from the store. If you just made the meat, you would just stir together the meat with the salsa/sauce and cheese.
- Spoon 1/3 cup of the meat mixture into the middle of the tortilla and roll up. Place the tortilla seam side down in the pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Spoon remaining salsa over the tortillas.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Broil for approximately 8 minutes, until all of the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
- Add ½ cup of black or pinto beans to the meat.
- Top with diced tomatoes.
- Top with sliced green onions.
- Top with sliced jalapeno peppers.
- Add ½ cup diced onions with meat.
- Add ½ cup diced mushrooms with meat.
- Add ¼ cup corn and ¼ cup black beans with meat.
- Add ¼ cup diced jalapeno peppers to meat.
- Add diced avocado after casserole comes out of oven.