In search of something sweet, I have developed a habit of eating spoonfuls of Nutella. Sometimes, I feel the need to make it healthy so I sprinkle Chia seeds on top. Not sure how much it helps, but it makes me feel a little better about my habit.
I think there is nothing more satisfying than savoring a spoonful of chocolate, hazelnut goodness. It’s rich enough where I only need a little bit, but boy is that little bit satisfying! So when I saw a recipe for Nutella cookies in Vegetarian Times, I had to make them that very same day. I love my spoonful of Nutella but I suspected that putting it into a cookie would be much more socially acceptable.
Chocolate Nutella Cookies
Adapted from Vegetarian Times recipe
1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1 cup Nutella
1 stick Earth Balance vegan spread
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, beat Nutella and butter with an electric mixer on medium until combined.
- Beat in brown sugar and then egg.
- Beat in flour mixture with mixer on low speed until dough forms.
- Transfer dough to wax paper and form into a 2 inch diameter log.
I took pictures of this and then realized that it was totally not appropriate for a food blog. 🙂
- Wrap tightly in wax paper and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice dough into 1/4 inch slices.
- Transfer slices to the baking sheet. Bake for 11-12 minutes until firm and dry. Transfer to wire rack to cool.